My good buddy Ed started a really interesting discussion topic over on THE UNIQUE GEEK listserv – Who are your favorite Doctor Who companions? I’ve put together my list broken into three categories: current series, classic series, and expanded universe. As a frame of reference, click here for a list of all companions on Doctor Who.
Here are my favorite companions in preference order from the current television series:
- Donna Noble
- Rose Tyler – During the first season with Christopher Eccleston. She was mostly forgettable with Tennant, with the exception of “Doomsday”.
- Amy Pond
- Wilfred Mott (Donna’s granddad)
- Lady Christina de Souza (from the “Planet of the Dead” special) – Admittedly she didn’t travel in the TARDIS, but she was super-cool and would have been a fantastic ongoing companion. I’m glad she got the flying bus.
- Captain Jack Harkness
- Rory Williams
- Martha Jones – She had amazing promise in her first episode, but it never played out.
- Mickey Smith
- River Song – Counting her as a companion is questionable. I really don’t care for this actress, so liking the character is difficult.
Here are my top ten favorite companions from the classic series. There are nearly 30 classic series companions to choose from. One character that would probably have been my top choice, but never actually traveled with the Doctor was Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. He was absolutely brilliant, but was never really a companion.
- Sarah Jane Smith (3rd and 4th Doctor)
- Ace (7th Doctor)
- Jamie McCrimmon (2nd Doctor)
- Romana II (4th Doctor)
- Zoe Heriot (2nd Doctor)
- K-9 (4th Doctor)
- Harry Sullivan (4th Doctor)
- Ian Chesterton (1st Doctor)
- Jo Grant (3rd Doctor)
- Tegan Jovanka (4th and 5th Doctor) – very annoying character, but I liked her anyway.
I’m probably one of the few people to care about this category. There have been around 80 companions in the various expanded universe stories (i.e. Big Finish audios and books; Doctor Who Magazine comic strip; original novels by Virgin, BBC, and Telos; other comic strips over the years, and more). Here are two links to lists of expanded universe companions for reference:
- Wikipedia list of companions in Doctor Who spin-offs, including some biographical info.
- Wikipedia list of companions in Doctor Who spin-offs, less biographies and more of a list layout.
Here are my top ten favorite expanded universe companions:
- Professor Bernice Summerfield (Virgin novels, DWM comic strips, her own novels and audios from Big Finish – 7th Doctor) – possibly the most fleshed out companion of all time. She started off as a companion to the 7th Doctor, but ended up with her own line of books and audio dramas.
- Charlotte “Charley” Pollard (Big Finish Audio – 8th Doctor & 6th Doctor)
- Fitz Kreiner (BBC 8th Doctor novels)
- Dr. Evelyn Smythe (Big Finish Audio – 6th Doctor)
- Anji Kapoor (BBC 8th Doctor novels)
- Erimem (Big Finish Audio – 5th Doctor)
- Thomas Hector “Hex” Schofield (Big Finish Audio – 7th Doctor)
- Lucie Miller (Big Finish Audio – 8th Doctor)
- Samantha Jones (BBC 8th Doctor novels)
- Izzy Sinclair (Doctor Who Magazine comic strip – 8th Doctor)
Honorable Mention: Wolsey the cat (Virgin novels – 7th Doctor)
Great topic! I really enjoyed the exercise of compiling these lists. Who are your favorite Doctor Who companions? Post your thoughts over on THE UNIQUE GEEK or comment here! Let us know!